Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Assignment #1, Blog Response

1.    The blog I chose to read is called, The Innovative Educator: Sharing ideas about educating innovatively.  The word ‘innovative’ first caught my attention, seeing as though I plan to be an educator myself someday in this fast pace, continually changing/updating world of ours.  The word ‘innovative’ implies something new and creative, especially in the way that something is done.  In this blogger’s blog, they describe how blogging has helped them to build their own personal learning network.  Considering I am very new to blogging, I figure this would be an enlightening insight to the whole phenomenon.         
As an educator, this blogger feels it is important to have what they call a ‘digital footprint’ by stating, “Having a digital footprint is crucial for your career if you want to establish credibility as an expert. While I have tons of work that lives online, there is nothing of my choosing directly pointing to me, what I believe, and what I do. As a result, I don’t have a real digital footprint and that means while I’ve done a lot of good work for my employers I have nothing that identifies my work, who I am, what I believe, and what I do.”  This blogger makes another valid point when they say that by using tools such as blogging, wikispaces, and Google apps with students and fellow educators; the purchase of some expensive equipment in the classroom may be unnecessary.  Although I agree with them on some level, I still believe it’s important for students (especially those in the elementary level) to converse and learn within the classroom.  I’m not saying it’s necessary to purchase a Smart Board for every classroom in America, I just think it’s important that students have multiple resources to learn and comprehend course material.  With that said I do agree on the notion of everyone (educators and students alike) to create and establish their own ‘digital footprint’ as stated by the Innovative Educator.  It’s a great way for readers to learn about your thoughts and opinions on matters, while using your own expressive creativity.  I think the idea of blogging and other networking sites is a wonderful way of reaching out to a wide variety of people you wouldn’t have the ability to otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Right - and developing a Personal Learning Networks is a great way for teachers to be reflective and improve their own teaching practices, as well as reach out to find resources when needed.
    I read the Innovative Educator too - I hope you get the opportunity to revisit again often.

    ReplyDelete