Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Assignment #1, Standard of Focus

3.      I will be using the English language arts Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in the elementary grade levels as a target of focus for this semester.  In particular I would like to narrow in on the CCSS of third grade adapted by Connecticut.  As stated by the Connecticut State Department of Education, “The English language arts standards require that students systematically develop literacy skills and understandings through reading, writing, speaking and listening.”  Considering the various learning styles (i.e. visual, auditory, and kinesthetic), you can link a reading or writing lesson using a range of aspects.  I recently assistant taught a third grade class and used to use interactive games to practice and review different lessons in Language Arts. Using the template of the ever-so-popular game of Jeopardy; I would engage my students visually with the design and wording up on the projector, they would have to engage their auditory senses in what I or other team members were saying, as well as physically writing and responding with answers.  In the end, my students were excited about learning and enjoying it along the way.  As an educator, I find it important to engage all students and incorporate every learning style in every lesson to the best of your ability.

1 comment:

  1. Great, sounds like you are already considering learning styles when engaging your students - please continue to share stories from your own classroom.
    I know you are looking at the 3rd grad English standards for this class, is there any one specific standard you will be focusing on?

    ReplyDelete